Sustainable Scottish skate caught by our responsible sourced fishing fleet in the rich fish grounds around Scotland and filleted in-house.
Skate is our specialty - a sometimes unloved fish, the skate is bought daily from the boats at Peterhead Fish Market by our expert Buyers and filleted in-house. Our team have over 100 years of experience doing this, and you won't find better skate!
price per pack - (5-10 cheeks per 500g).
Tempura skate cheeks
• rapeseed or groundnut oil, for deep frying
• 1 egg
• 250 ml ice cold water
• 160 g tempura flour
• 1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
• 1 tbsp shichimi togarashi Japanese 7-spice powder
• 1 bunch tenderstem broccoli
• 12 skate, cheeks
• lime wedges, to garnish
For the dipping sauce
• 4 tbsp kewpie - Japanese mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp sriacha - Thai hot chilli sauce
For the salad
• 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
• 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• dash soy sauce
• 4 small handfuls mixed salad leaves
- Start to heat the oil for frying to 180C in a deep fat fryer or large heavy-based saucepan. Use a thermometer to check the temperature.
- Whisk together the egg and the ice cold water. Tip in the tempura flour, Old Bay seasoning and togarashi and mix together very slightly with chopsticks - don’t overmix as you still want the batter to have lumps of flour in it.
- Dip the tenderstem broccoli in the batter, then carefully lower into the hot oil, in batches if necessary, and fry until golden brown, about 45 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Dip the skate cheeks in the batter and fry until golden brown, in batches if necessary, for about 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- For the dipping sauce: while the fish is frying, combine both ingredients well.
- For the salad: whisk the oil, both the vinegars and the soy sauce together, then toss with the mixed salad leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the tempura fish and tenderstem broccoli, and with the creamy dipping sauce on the side. Garnish with lime wedges.
Latin Name: Raja clavata
Recipe: Tempura skate cheeks