Sustainable Scottish herring caught by our responsible sourced fishing fleet in the rich fish grounds around Scotland and smoked by one of Arbroath's most famous Smokers.
The herring is smoked by one of Arbroath's most experienced Smokers, in an open pit with real firewood. The proper way!
Kippers cooked in a jug with cider and lime butter
• 2 fresh kippers
• 100g/4oz butter, softened (not melted)
• 3 tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
• ¼ apple, grated
• 50ml/2floz cider
• 1 lime, juice and zest only
• sliced bread, to serve
- Place the kippers in a tall jug with the tails sticking out of the top. Pour boiling water carefully into the jug, right up to the top. Leave to stand.
- Meanwhile, mix the butter and chopped parsley together in a mixing bowl. Gradually add the grated apple and cider and set aside.
- After the kippers have been in the water for about 2-3 minutes, drain well and transfer the kippers to a plate.
- Spoon the butter over the kippers and garnish with the lime juice and zest.
- Serve with sliced bread.