Sustainable Scottish skate caught by our responsible sourced fishing fleet in the rich fish grounds around Scotland and filleted in-house.
Skate is our specialty - a sometimes unloved fish, the skate is bought daily from the boats at Peterhead Fish Market by our expert Buyers and filleted in-house. Our team have over 100 years of experience doing this, and you won't find better skate!
price per pack - 2 portions per pack (500g).
Skate wings with caper butter sauce and olive oil mash
For the skate wings
• 2 skate wings
• 50g/2oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 25g/1oz butter
• 1 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce
• 175g/6oz butter
• 4 tbsp lemon juice
• 3 tbsp caperberries, rinsed
• 3 tbsp capers, rinsed
• 2 tbsp roughly chopped flatleaf parsley
• For the olive oil mash
• 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 110ml/4fl oz olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the skate wings, dust the skate wings in the flour.
- Heat a large frying pan until hot and add the butter and oil. When the butter is foaming, add the skate carefully and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until completely cooked through.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, place the butter into a small saucepan over a medium heat and heat until melted and just turning nut brown in colour.
- Add the lemon juice, caperberries, capers and parsley and stir through.
- For the olive oil mash, place the potatoes into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender, then drain and place back in the pan.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth then add the olive oil, stirring well with a wooden spoon or a whisk. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, place the skate onto the plate. Add two spoonfuls of mash, then spoon over the sauce.
Latin Name: Raja clavata
Recipe: Skate wings with caper butter sauce and olive oil mash