Sustainable Scottish mackerel caught by our responsible sourced fishing fleet in the rich fish grounds around Scotland.
A real summertime favourite, these mackerel are bought from Peterhead Fish Market by our expert Buyers and filleted in-house by our team. They are then peppered and lightly smoked.
price per pack - 5 portions per pack (500g).
Peppered mackerel risotto
• 250g Arborio rice
• 700ml stock (chicken or fish)
• 200ml white wine
• 2 peppered mackerel fillets
• ½ red chilli (optional), sliced
• 4 mushrooms, sliced
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 leaves of fresh basil per serving
- Heat a large pan, when the pan is hot, add the oil.
- Add the onion and fry at a low heat until golden and tender (keep stirring the onion to avoid burning).
- Add the rice and mix well, until you see the rice is starting to become transparent, then add the wine and stir well.
- Remove the skin from the peppered mackerel and flake.
- After a minute or two add the mackerel and the mushrooms.
- When you see the wine is disappearing, add a third of the stock and the chilli.
- Keep adding stock as needed and cook for 20-30 minutes until the rice is cooked to your taste (add a little extra stock or hot water if you want it more tender).
- Add pepper to taste and a sprig of fresh basil to serve.
Latin Name: Scomber scombus
Recipe: Peppered mackerel risotto